DEVELOPING DESIGN/LAYOUT TO PRINT FILES
You’ll work with the Hume Media’s design team, who will guide you through the book design process.
Throughout the design process, you’ll be able to interact with the design team to make choices and decisions about your book’s final look and feel.
- Provide Hume with your manuscript and all other available content (images for your book including covers and text pages).
- You have the option of choosing from a number of templates that will provide you with a professionally designed book for publishing/print. The choice of templates will determine font choices for body copy, headings, subheadings, etc., format, page size, margins, column structure, set up of headers, page numbering and footers.
- Your requirements may be for a fully customized design with your personal preferences for fonts, format, etc. or a requirement to follow corporate branding standards for a business publication.
- With a review of provided content, Hume will present you with an estimate for full design services to print ready files.
- Before we begin designing your book, there will be a series of consultative communications followed by the development of a creative brief for your approval. You’ll have the opportunity to consult directly with one of our design team so you can relay the concepts you have in mind for your book.
- We’ll design cover concept(s) and present these via email in PDF format. Concepts will present cover and one or two inside spreads for you to choose from. You’ll have the opportunity to provide design feedback. Delivery of hard copy proofs can be arranged.
- After approval of cover concept, and layout for text pages we’ll move forward with the layout of the full content of your book.
- With confirmation of size, number of pages, quantity for first print run, Hume will provide you with a detailed print quote.
- If you have a mailing list and/or want to include any variable data such as personalizing each copy, Hume will provide you with a fee for data management and mailing/distribution.
IF YOU ARE PROVIDING PRINT READY FILES:
- Your graphics or images for placement and/or print files must meet our resolution standard of 300 DPI at the final output size.
- Whether you are providing photos, scans, computer generated illustrations, etc.,the files should be a minimum of 300 dpi
- Files with images or elements that crop at the edge of the page require bleed for final print files. A minimum of .2 In. bleed, with crop marks.
- For perfect bound books the inside margin should be a minimum of .5 in.
- For wiro bound books the inside margin should be a minimum of .5 in